Something Else Was Smellier
Ben Orenstein is once again joined by Joe Ferris, CTO of thoughtbot. Joe and Ben dive right in to a technical discussion about Objects versus Structures. They then discuss what Joe does as the new CTO of thoughtbot, and how his goal is to set up a system where everybody is teaching everybody. Finally, they discuss why Joe doesn't like using rspec's let and subject, and his strategy for writing tests without them.
Notes & Links
- Object Mentor blog, Objects vs. Structures
- Robert Martin Shape Hierarchy (Open Closed Principle)
- Martin Fowler's Refactoring
- Code smell
- Case statement code smell
- Visitor pattern
- Shotgun surgery
- Method object
- Composition over inheritance
- Growing Object-Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
- thoughtbot's apprentice.io
- Parkinson's Law of Triviality (bikeshedding)
- Broken windows theory
- Mystery Guest
Follow @thoughtbot, @r00k, and @joeferris on twitter.
To have your questions answered on the air
Email your questions to email@example.com or Tweet to us @thoughtbot.